Air Ceylon was formed by the Ceylonese government in 1947, and in the same year two L-749 were ordered for use on an international route to London. The order was canceled and DC-4’s leased from Australian National Airways operated the route from 1949 until 1953. Boac Comet’s and TWA Connies’ had lead to a severe drop in traffic.
Air Ceylon restarted its weekly Colombo to London service in February 1956 with a L-749A leased from KLM. The aircraft carried PH- registration but was fully painted in Air Ceylon’s attractive livery. The L-749A was replaced by a (KLM) L-1049G in November 1958. The former PH- registration was replaced by a 4R- Ceylonese registration later that year. The Super Connie was in use until November 1960 when a leased KLM L-188 replaced it.