American Flyers Airline – AFA was formed by Reed Pigman as a charter service for businessmen in cconnection with American Flyers in 1949. Which had become a large pilot training school since its founding at Forth Worth in 1941. Four Models 049 were purchased from Delta in April 1960 to supplement the DC-3s and the Connies were used on domestic passenger and freight chartrs & military contract work. During 1964, four 1049Gs were acquired to supplement the 049s, and a further 1049G in 1965. The Super Connies were used domestically, and also, during the summer of 1965, on Trans-Atlantic charters. Such charter passenger charters were flown to LGW, MAN in UK, to FRA in GER during the summer 1966. In 1967 the company purchased L-188 Electra aircraft and began phasing out the older Connies. The 1049Gs continued in use until November 1968, when the last aircraft was withdraw. AFA was merged with Universal Airlines on 25. April 1971.