The airline was formed in June 1946 operating Curtiss C-46s. In mid 1957 Capitol purchased their first L-749A Constellation, and further 2 were acquired a year later for use on civilian charters and MATS contract work. A further L-749A was leased in 1959. From July 1959 a L-1049H was in use for transatlantic charters with a 100-seat configuration. A L-1049G followed in 1960 and was occasionally leased to Boac for their Caribbean services to London. Between 1961 and 1962 4 further Super Constellations were leased, and 2 of the L-749As were disposed of. Capitol specialized in transatlantic civilian and military charter until 1967. During 1965 British United used a L-1049G for charters to the Mediterranean due to late arrival of their new Bac 1-11s. In 1965 Capitol won a contract with the Berliner Flugring, so the Super Connies were frequent visitors on European airports, including Berlin, Klagenfurt, Munich, Malage, Palma, Naples, Pisa, Venice, Basle, etc. In 1966 3 L-1049Gs were based at Berlin. This venture ended in November 1967 when the Constellation returned to the United States. It was also the last full year of Connie operations because MAC contracts were now awarded to airlines operation turbo-jet or jet equipment. The last Super Constellation was withdrawn from service in late 1968. At the height of their operations Capitol had with 18 aircraft the biggest fleet of Constellations as a non scheduled operator.