Chicago & Southern became an international airline in 1946 when starting services from Houston and New Orleans to Havana, Haiti, Santo Domingo, jamaica, and Caracas. DC-3s and Wright engined DC-4s, so called Dixie Liners, were used. The first of 5 (later 6) ordered L-549A replaced the DC-4s on the main routes in October 1950. By mid 1951 all 6 L-649As were in service and most of them carrying the Speedpak for freight services. In December 1952 the CAB (Civil Aeronautics Board) approved the merger with Delta Air Lines. The 2 companies were merged completely in May 1953 as Delta C&S Air Lines and the Constellations sold.